Happy Friday! We’ve survived our first snow of the year. November is almost half over (where has the time gone?!). Thanksgiving will be here soon, and Christmas won’t be long after that! As for this weekend though, here are the highlights of what’s going on in the north country…
1) Shop to Share
- Second Annual Baby It’s Cold Outside: Today from 5 to 8 p.m. at the Bonnie Castle Resort, 31 Holland St., Alexandria Bay. Cost: Any children’s hat, mittens, scarf, gloves, or coat donation.
This is a night of tastings and crafts: wine, beer and liquor, crafts. All donated items will be given to local schools and churches as part of Bonnie Castle’s year of “pay it forward.” For more info, call 482-4511 or 800-955-4511.
- Beat the Black Friday Rush Sale: Today from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the hospital lobby of the Claxton-Hepburn Medical Center, 214 King St., Ogdensburg.
There will be a wide variety of locally made items including fall and Christmas decorations, house hold items, personal items, doll clothes, items for babies and much more. All proceeds benefit the hospital auxiliary. For more info, call 393-1559.
- Bald Is Beautiful Team Fundraiser: Tomorrow from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at St. Lawrence Valley Sportsman’s Club, Sports Club Road, Ogdensburg. Cost: $2.
The event features raffles, bake sale, vendors, crafters and photographs. Benefits Ogdensburg Relay for Life. For more info, call Greg Denny at 528-1031.
- 24th Annual Craft and Antique Fair: Tomorrow from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Bruce M. Wright Memorial Conference Center, 1291 Faichney Drive, Watertown. Cost: $3; free, 12 and younger.
This event is hosted by North Country Spouses’ Club to benefit NCSC scholarship fund and community outreach grants. For more info, email NCSCCraftFair@gmail.com.
- Your Dream Boutique: Tomorrow from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Trinity Church Macsherry Center, 227 Sherman St., Watertown.
Come check out new, unique, designer clothes, shoes and accessories. The bouique benefits Watertown Urban Mission. For more info, call 782-8440.
2) Be Healthy, Be Happy
- Free Blood Pressure and Blood Glucose Clinics: Today from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Ogdensburg Volunteer Rescue Squad Headquarters, 101 State St., Ogdensburg.
The Ogdensburg Volunteer Rescue Squad is running free blood pressure and blood glucose clinics.
- View Yoga Classes: Today from 8:30 to 10:30 a.m., and 10 a.m. to noon; tomorrow from 8:30 to 10:30 a.m. at the View (Arts Center) Old Forge, 3273 Route 28, Old Forge. Cost: $10 per class; $7, members; $75; $55, members, monthly rate for unlimited classes.
A variety of classes are offered all week at the Arts Center. Preregistration is required. For more info, call 369-6411, ext. 201 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Community yoga: Tomorrow from 9 to 10 a.m. at Yoga Loft, 30 Court St., Canton. Cost: $5.
- Meet and Hike: Tomorrow from 1 to 2:30 p.m. at Nature Center at Robert Moses State Park, 19 Robinson Bay Road, Massena.
- Dance the Night Away: Tomorrow from 7 to 11 p.m. at Evans Mills Fire Department, 8615 Leray St., Evans Mills. Cost: $5.
There will be music by Adirondack Playboys and refreshments available. For more info, call 629-4931.
3) Appreciate the Arts
- Artists’ Studio Tour: Tomorrow and Sunday, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. both days throughout the north country.
- Coffee house: Tonight at 6 p.m. at Forest Presbyterian Church, 4019 Center St., Lyons Falls.
- Massena Artists Association‘s 30th Annual Membership Exhibit: all weekend at the Massena Public Library, 41 Glenn St., Massena.
This exhibit contains the best new work by MAA members. It includes several award-winning pieces, and the work used in selecting the “Artist of the Year” for 2014-15. For more info, call 769-9914.
- Adirondack Detective Series Exhibit: all weekend at Gallery/Quilt room, Old Forge Library, 220 Cosby Blvd., Old Forge.
The works of John Briant, author, are available for sale and on display until Wednesday, Dec. 31. A portion of each sale donated to library. For more info, call 369-6008.
- 2014 Quilts Unlimited Exhibit: all weekend at View (Arts Center) Old Forge, 3273 Route 28, Old Forge.
This exhibit runs through Sunday, Dec. 7. It includes “On and Off the Wall” exhibit by Adirondack Regional Textile Group. For more info, call 369-6411, ext. 201.
4) Bend Your Brain
- “A Window to the Future of Zoos: from Watertown to the World” Presentation: 7 p.m. tonight in the East Hall, room H-116, Jefferson Community College, 1220 Coffeen St., Watertown. Free.
Join Jefferson Community College, New York State Zoo at Thompson Park and North Country Animal Health Center for this presentation by Donald E. Moore III, scientist at Smithsonian Institute. A reception will follow the talk. For more info, call Mark Irwin at 786-2342.
- Storytime: Saturday at 10:30 a.m. in the Canton Free Library, 8 Park St., Canton. Free.
Bring your children ages 3 and older for books, storytelling, finger plays, poems, songs. For more info, contact Christine at 714-2510 or email@example.com.
- Making Fresh Mozzarella Cheese Workshop: Tomorrow from 10 a.m. to noon at Birdsfoot Farm, 1263 County Route 25, Canton. Cost: $17; $30, couple; $10 student.
Presented by Birdsfoot Organic Farm and Local Living Venture, this event will be a hands-on morning with Emlyn Crocker. Reservations required. For more info, email LocalLivingVenture@gmail.com or call 347-4223.
- Kitchen Sink Soap Workshop: Tomorrow from 2 to 4 p.m. in Crary Mills. Cost: $17; $30, couple; $10, student.
Join in as Allison Brant teaches how to make soap using goat milk. Presented by Local Living Venture and Homestead Soap. Reservations required. For more info, email LocalLivingVenture@gmail.com or call 347-4223.
This event is for children ages 6 to 11. Parents must remain. No registration required. For more info, call 785-7709, or email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
5) Think About Theater
- “Annie: The Musical“: Tonight at 7 p.m.; tomorrow at 3 p.m. at Watertown High School, 1335 Washington St., Watertown. Cost: $10; student and senior citizens, $5.
The performance is hosted by Rhonda Foote. Tickets are available at Seaway Plaza and Washington Street Tops Markets. For more info, call 785-3800.
The play is presented by Pendragon Theatre. For more info, call 518-891-1854 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2014 Domenic J. Pellicciotti Opera Composition Prize Winners: Tonight and tomorrow at 7:30 p.m. at Sara M. Snell Music Theatre, SUNY Potsdam, 44 Pierrepont Ave., Potsdam.
Operas featured are “A Letter to East 11th Street,” “In a Mirror Darkly,” and “The Fox and the Pomegranate.” For tickets or more info, call 267-2422.
- “The Matchmaker”: Tonight and tomorrow at 7:30 p.m. at Canton High School, 99 State Street, Canton. Cost: $8; $5, students, seniors, tickets available at the door.
Presented by Canton Thespians.
- Thunderchild: Tomorrow from 9:30 p.m. to 1:30 a.m. at The Paddock Club, 1 Public Square, Watertown.
If you miss this performance, the band will also be playing Dec. 13. For more info, call 786-6633.
For an entire list of the weekend’s offerings, visit the Watertown Daily Times events calendar.
Have a great weekend!